How much do you know about Memorial Day? Just for fun, let’s test your knowledge. Take the quiz and check your results. The answers are below. (No cheating, now.)
1. Memorial Day was originally called
a. Fallen Hero’s Day
b. Veteran’s Day
c. Decoration Day
2. The first official celebration of Memorial Day (under its original name), took place 3 years after which war?
a. War of 1812
b. Civil War
c. Spanish American War
3. Moina Michael wrote a Memorial Day poem referencing this flower. Today men and women wear it to honor those who have provided the ultimate sacrifice to secure our freedom.
a. Red rose
b. Red geranium
4. Which of the following statements is true?
a. On Memorial Day, the flag should be at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.
b. On Memorial Day, the flag should be at full-staff until noon only, then lowered to half-staff until it is removed.
c. On Memorial Day, the flag may fly all day without regard to lowering and removing it at sundown.
5. The first state to officially recognize Memorial Day is
a. New York
6. The two most popular items used to honor soldiers are
a. Flags and wreaths
b. Bands and parades
c. Flags and flowers
7. The song most frequently played on Memorial Day is
a. Stars and Stripes
c. Star Spangled Banner
Check your answers below and rate your score.
Answers: 1-c; 2-b; 3-c; 4-a; 5-a; 6-c; 7-b
|7 correct answers||Go to the head of the line. The first hot dog is yours.|
|6 correct answers||Good work. You can be second in line.|
|5 correct answers||Memory is getting shaky. Check out the Internet before getting in line.|
|0-4 correct answers||Pop quizzes aren’t your thing. Line up for clean-up duty.|